Thursday, September 18, 2008

*You're Not the Programmer*

Acceptance of what is, and the belief that this is possible by you is a great confusion. You are told to accept what is, and simultaneously you are told that you can do nothing because you don't exist. Well, which is it? The answer both-and only creates more confusion. To the mind, paradox is confusion, confusion because understanding is incomplete.

Acceptance or rest is not an accomplishment. It is simply seeing that the "I" which naturally involves itself is not anything real. The discovery is "I" is not involved. That's the rest. It's as simple and organic as that. It is not a discipline, the practice of reminding yourself to rest, and it is not chastising yourself when you can't rest. This is a misunderstanding. Rest has nothing to do with what the body or mind are doing. They will do as they do. They may be rested, resting, or restless. That's not rest. Rest is no ego involvement with what happens. That is true rest. All else is just the way a particular body or mind functions. There may be ways to change the function, there is yoga, exercise, diet, medication, and pain relief, but that is not rest, as it's used here.

Rest is freedom from involvement with what's happening. You are already free of involvement, because there truly is no ego. All action is naturally egoless. There is no "I". There is just language. Belief in this "I" is what causes suffering. Without "I" suffering is impossible. This is what is meant by the end of suffering. The end of suffering is the end of belief in this "I". The end of suffering is the end of ego involvement. That's it!

There may be great pain or confusion, but without "I" there is no suffering. This sounds like a paradox. It is not. Pain and suffering are two entirely different things. Pain can be relieved. Pain can be healed. Suffering can drop. It drops when there is no ego involvement. It drops when there is a seeing that all actions are fundamentally free of "I'. The end of suffering is not the end of pain. It's just this.

When it comes to spiritual writing, there is a good reason to say all that can be said in the passive voice. It is far more accurate to say, suffering drops, suffering falls away, than "I" did it. The involvement of "I" is suffering. That is what is being clarified here. If this is heard and a practice is begun to stop involvement with "I", the point is missed. There is no "I", this has to be seen by that which sees. That which see is not "I". Only "I" is "I". Neither is the body "I". Thought isn't "I". Only "I" is "I".

A lot of spiritual teachings, helpful as they are, are misleading. They teach that non-acceptance is suffering, and acceptance is the way to end suffering. Then, you suffer because you can't accept. That's the problem. You're not supposed to accept, you're supposed to notice. You're supposed to see. You're supposed to see that non-acceptance is not the problem. It's "my" non-acceptance that's the problem. Where did this "my" come from? It came from "I'.

Without "I" there is no "my", and in reality, there is no "I". That's what the teachers are saying.
It's as if you bought a table, and your spouse didn't like it. She truly doesn't like it. She has been given different tastes. She likes what she likes, and you like what you like, and that's that. Right?

That's the programing. That's the conditioning. That's not the problem. The problem is "I". Her suffering doesn't bother you, because it's hers. Your suffering doesn't bother her, because it's yours. If her conditioning were accepted, and if your conditioning were accepted, not by any personal effort, but by seeing that there is no choice in it, that although "I" tries to take credit, it wasn't anything you chose, then there is freedom.

Non-acceptance can be part of the programing, and is. There is no shame in it. "My" non-acceptance suggests you had something to do with the program. It suggests that you are the programmer. That's the illusion. That's the suffering.

The is a right way and a wrong way to hear this. If you hear that I am not supposed to have suffering, or I am supposed to be free of suffering, and you try to get rid of it, that's the wrong way. If you hear it as it's meant here. that all actions are basically done without your choice, that all actions are basically egoless, then something has been understood.

No comments: