Friday, April 24, 2009

Seeking

Truth can't be figured out intellectually. It can't be reasoned or argued, only intuitively sensed. The reason is that the knower through his knowledge of objects divides the world. He misses the oneness. It is the "I" in "I know" and "I think" that misses the Truth. "I know that..." is in reality "I' knows that..." The knowledge belongs to "I" not to you. The opinions likewise belong to "I" not to you. Both the knowledge "I am enlightened," and the knowledge "I'm not enlightened," both the belief "all is one," and the belief, "all is many," belong to "I" All knowledge and beliefs belong to ego.

Strictly speaking, what is ordinarily called knowledge of oneness is not knowledge. It is Being. If you are like most spiritual seekers, you are waiting for this elusive knowledge of oneness to stick, but stick to what? to whom? You haven't inquired. You have just thought about it. This thinking says, "I can't rest unless I have some final experience." The problem is, experience will not yield realization. Experience is dualistic. Who's experience is it after all? It also belongs to I. We say my experience, or the experience I had. See, it's all in time. The only reality outside of time is awareness.

What is Eternal is here now, more knowledge is not. Truth is here now, more experience is not, What is awake is here now, more insight is not What, then are you waiting for? No amount of knowledge, experience or insight will satisfy the mind. "I" always imagines something better just around the corner, and there is plenty in store. Preoccupations are plentiful. Always, there is something that hasn't been experienced, something that hasn't been thought about, something that hasn't been seen. So, the mind suggests, "why allow this, experience or insight, to be the final one, to be the one that stops the search?

This is how it keeps itself going. It keeps imagining, keeps anticipating, keeps thinking. And you let it go on. It continues with your blessing. You entrust your enlightenment, your awakening, your self-realization to reason, as if reason was the big authority on Truth, But reason always says, "this is not what I imagined."

You cannot reason to oneness. The very method prevents it. No amount of thinking can provide any insight into where thinking comes from. No intellectual pursuit ever leads to realization, It leads only to more insights, then to more ideas, and eventually to more thinking. It is a ceaseless activity which brings you no closer to Truth. That's what seeking is.

Trying to reason to enlightenment is an exercise in futility. No ability of the mind, be it thinking, reflecting, remembering or imagining, can facilitate waking up, for the simple fact that the mind is only a thought; that's the awakening. You wake up when you see that the ego, which wants to come to a nice neat conclusion, which wants to resolve the paradoxes and tie up all the loose ends, isn't real. Reasoning to the Truth is like reasoning that you've got food. You've got food, but not for the reasons you think or don't think.

No comments: